Thursday, June 19, 2014

History, Healthy food, and ..hot dogs?

Our school @ Charles University!
Thursday: Another Thursday, another 7 ½ hours straight of class. Abroad lesson: Expect everything to be less American. Classic American-centric attitude, English is much less prevalent in the Czech Republic than I thought. For example, my Jewish studies teacher who uses “actually” as a pause word. (Actually The Bishop of Spyer actually gave actually the Jews many rights actually not only actually in the town but actually in the bigger city actually – direct quote). However, I do really enjoy our art and architecture teacher, who is quite the “nutty professor”. He has a great interest in the more phallic part of European art, and who according to Nicole is also an opera singer with a “love child” in Berlin. Still, he is very engaging and you can tell he really loves his job. Today, we went to see two churches and a museum. The detail in these churches was incredible; especially the organs (which I guess are a thing here-really trying to go to a concert) were so ornate and beautiful. At the museum, I realized that I’m not the biggest fan of gothic art where Jesus is crucified (Maybe it’s a Jewish thing? Or a phobia of nails thing?). However, Eric and I had fun finding small details in the paintings that were interesting or funny.


After class, I stopped by a market in Namesti Republicky with Julie and Bri before heading out on a run. I had a great afternoon spending time both there and at Secret of Raw, my new favorite restaurant that’s ONE BLOCK from my apartment and is essentially Grins 2.0. Living in between a healthy restaurant and a bar is not too shabby. I had such a great time eating outside and writing, realizing this is a type of relaxing that I need to find more of at school.  I totally would have passed by this place if Olivia hadn’t had pointed it out to me a few days before.

The issue of the night
Bri fighting for her hotdog
That night, we headed to Letna Beer Garden to watch the game…only to realize that the big screen was down for a wedding. Mazel tov but like…can you move please? IT’S THE WORLD CUP. We headed back to town and explore Dhloua street a little more. Then, the worst happened, my shoe broke! Thankfully, Julie was super inventive and had me tie hairties around my foot and the base of my shoe, but still, that is a very uncomfortable scenario. However, the most interesting part of the night was actually the very end, where Bri, hungry, had Julie buy her a hot dog. While in line we met an Irishman named Jules who promptly took the hotdog from the stand and started eating it himself. Obviously, Bri lashed him out, and in his shock she was able to take the hotdog and run down the street. I will forever hold the image of Bri sprinting down the street screaming “I got it I got it!” and passing it off to me like a baton. Finally stopping our run at the Powder Tower we died in laughter and headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment