Friday, June 6, 2014

Ahoj Praha! Solo travel and Initial Adventures

I did it! I successfully arrived in Prague and made a blog. But that doesn't even begin to describe my day. During my layover in Frankfurt, I quickly remembered that I needed a hotel for tonight, which I had meant to book earlier...oops. I quickly bought a Lonely Planet guide (Which has already done wonders for enhancing this experience) and found the closest hotels to my soon-to-be apartment. I used my one international call to connect with the only conceirge in Prague who did not know a word of English. But, using this LP guidebook (seriously I cannot give it enough credit) I was able to make my reservation in Czech!



Finally feeling a bit more responsible, I landed in Prague and was met with a beautiful day. I would not recommend my hotel room to the Brandons of the world, but it was perfectly Dana-sized and situated in a great part of town. I set out into the city with essentially no information about where I was headed. Still, I was able to find an incredibly scenic run...although I may have had to retrace my steps a few times. Starting in  Prague 2 I found my way down to the waterfront and over a bridge to Petrin..little did I know that the "big green area" on the map was actually a GIANT hill. While I attempted that a few different ways, I settled for running along the waterfront on the other side and made it to the Charles Bridge. Also not the smartest idea at 12 pm on a Friday, I headed back along the waterfront (so far my favorite park destination) enjoyed a few laps on the islands along the way back to Prague 1, finding my way to Wenceslas Square and then to my hotel. The one time I stopped to try and find my bearings, I noticed many tourists looking up, and realized I had happen to stumble upon the Jubilee Synagogue. It was so beautiful I completely forgot about running for a moment and just enjoyed the view.

Getting ready to start the rest of my afternoon, I realized I was a bit hungry. I quickly googled "farmers markets prague" and was able to somehow find that one was happening right down the street, but only for another hour! I rushed to get ready and headed out. Again, may have forgotten my map..but somehow I was able to make my way there. I never realized how exhilarating it is to just walk without a phone, map, or even the ability to ask for directions (since there was no way I could remember or pronounce the place where I was headed). It was incredibly peaceful to wander as best as I could, while also checking out the incredible architecture and scenery along the way. I made it to the farmers market just in time and it was absolutely wonderful. I sampled chips, wine, dates, and even found a gluten free stand! I settled on a delicious looking apple, which only cost me about twenty cents. Feeling content, responsible, independent, and just over the moon ecstatic about the summer, I sat in the park to listen to local musicians play.

After a while, I began walking again..heading towards my new home! I was able to discover that there is a wonderful park very close by with a fun looking beer garden that I will hopefully get to try soon. It also is not very far from the old town, which at this point I believe will be my favorite area. I walked the streets, cursing the fact that I bought a 7.5 instead of an 8..but enjoying the view nonetheless. From my first wanderings, I can tell that I am going to love this city, and all of the other times that I can freely think and roam and see what I find! 

No comments:

Post a Comment